Brighton Council ChambersAdd to Itinerary
Kevin Knight of Oakley and Parkes with engineer John Connell and Associates. Construction by Prentice Builders Pty Ltd 1961
The foundation stone of the Brighton Municipal Offices was laid on February 13, 1959. The building was officially opened on July 21, 1961 and includes a municipal library, council offices and council chambers.
The building design is similar to that of the famous Guggenheim Museum in New York, USA. The exterior is rendered in red brick with white concrete decoration. The interior decoration and furniture was by Grant Featherston who designed the circular foyer, council chamber, and two circular meeting rooms, including extant furniture and light fittings.
The building is still used by the City of Bayside for council meetings and a public library continues to operate from the complex.
Patrons will have full access to freely roam the architecturally designed Brighton Council Chambers. Patrons can speak to volunteers to learn more about this important civic building and how it has been used historically and today.
Image: (1) Brighton Council Chambers. Photo: Bayside City Council.
Time & Date
Saturday 29 + Sunday 30 July
Open access 1pm-5pm
Fully wheelchair accessible, Elevator access, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking nearby, Partially wheelchair accessible
15 Boxshall Street, Brighton 3186