While the building’s foundation stone was laid on 28 February 1926, the congregation dates back to 1871 with the original synagogue around the corner. The synagogue is part of a three building precinct, and has a traditional ornate, massive dome which has been renovated in recent years. It also features beautiful stained glass windows and has an old world charm, lovingly cared for and restored.
Join a guided tour led by members of the St Kilda Hebrew Congregation, in partnership with the Jewish Museum of Australia.
Images: (1) Inside the Synagogue. (2) Foundation stone. (3) Wedding in the Synagogue. (4) Front of the Synagogue. All photos: courtesy St Kilda Hebrew Congregation.
Time & Date
Tours run at 12pm, 12.30pm, 3pm and 3.30pm
Running for 30 minutes
Meet at gate 2, near the administration building. Access is also possible if crossing the road from the Jewish Museum of Australia. Men are required to wear head covering inside.
12 Charnwood Grove, St Kilda 3182