St Kilda Cemetery was laid out in 1851 by Robert Hoddle’s assistant surveyor HB Foot, with the reservation of Crown land approved in 1853. The cemetery is one of the oldest suburban cemeteries in Melbourne officially opening on 9 June 1855. The first burial was that of a young girl Charlotte Green who was interred in the Baptist section on 1 May 1855. The gate lodge was built around 1857, and the rotundas in 1860. The external brick wall was built in circa 1883.
Two 45-minute tours will visit graves of eminent architects to hear how they contributed to Melbourne, and take in historic monuments to celebrated Melburnians.
Images: (1-5) St Kilda Cemetery. Courtesy of Port Phillip City Collection.
Time & Date
Tours run at 2pm and 3pm
Running for 45 minutes in groups of 10 people
The friends of St Kilda cemetery Inc. is open now for booking. Please Contact President Gabriel Hermes on 0451 831 102 to book or enquire about membership.
Meet at the Dandenong Road gates. Comfortable and sturdy shoes are recommended. Participants will be asked sign a waiver form.
St Kilda Cemetery, Dandenong Road, St. Kilda East 3183