Architect: William Pitt 1888, Gray Puksand 2018
Inner North | IN06
LCI Melbourne is a 3000 m2 dedicated design school in the heart of Collingwood since January 2018. The campus was originally a wool and textile factory for Foy and Gibson – one of Melbourne’s earliest department stores. Designed by renowned architect William Pitt, the red-bricked factories and warehouses of Foy and Gibson were built over the decades of the late 1800s, and spanned multiple blocks in Collingwood. Australian firm Gray Puksand was briefed to transform the 130-year-old, red-bricked heritage building into a creative campus for students studying interior design, visual art, advertising, fashion, and filmmaking. The building now features a huge light-filled atrium, large student lounge, contemporary art gallery and modern design studios. The original fabric of the building has been thoughtfully incorporated back into the design, from an impressive green wall made from floorboards, to small touches like cast-iron pulleys. LCI Melbourne’s campus has already played host to fashion runways, street art events, professional design association meet ups, and multiple artist exhibitions from around the world. The campus walls are adorned with works by some of Melbourne’s leading artists – Smug, Kitt Bennett, and Michael Peck – which can be viewed during the tour.
A guided tour of the space outlining its history and the architectural briefings involved in transforming this heritage building into a design school.
150 Oxford Street, Collingwood 3066, Collingwood VIC