Hawthorn Tram Depot

Architect: Leonard Flannagan, 1916

City of Boroondara | B02

Building Description

The Hawthorn Tram Depot was opened in 1916 by the Hawthorn Tramways Trust. It serviced a line from Princes Bridge to the developing suburbs of Camberwell and Burwood, and a branch line from Hawthorn Bridge. It is an imposing building on a prominent site, designed by notable Melbourne architect, Leonard Flannagan. The depot initially housed offices, amenities and the substation, together with a four road tram shed located behind. It was enlarged in 1917 with a three road shed designed by architects Sydney Smith and Ogg. In 1925 a driver and conductor instruction school was opened and from 1940 until the early 1990s uniforms were manufactured on the top floor. From 1965 services transferred to Camberwell Depot. The superseded Hawthorn Depot continued to house trams, training facilities and the uniform works. In 1996, the depot was included on the Victorian Heritage Register and later offered for redevelopment. The 2002 redevelopment included conversion to residential units and new rear units. The original façades were reconstructed, although all that remains of the second shed is the façade; the rest is units. The original shed was restored and officially opened in 2003 as the Melbourne Tram Museum to house the city’s heritage tram fleet.

What's On

Guided and self-guided walking tours through Melbourne’s heritage Tramcar Fleet. View new exhibitions on Wattle Park and Transporting Art 1978 – 2018.


8 Wallen Road, Hawthorn 3122, Hawthorn VIC

Stay in the loop