< Previous search
Black and white postcard, view standing on the Lower Esplanade looking up at the Catani Clock Tower and lawns in front of several Grand houses situated on the Upper Esplanade behind the Clock Tower.
Black and white photograph from the 1930s, looking slightly down on a crowd of men wearing hats standing in front of the Carlo Catani Clock Tower. The mayor of St Kilda wearing his chains and hat stands to the left of the speaker talking to the crowd standing next to the veiled bronze bust of Carlo Catani.
Black and white photograph, sweeping view of the ornamental Catani lawns and fountain looking towards the yacht club and Cenotaph.
Black and white postcard, view standing on the Lower Esplanade looking up at the Catani Clock Tower and lawns in front of several Grand houses situated on the Upper Esplanade behind the Clock Tower.

Catani Clock Tower

Add to Itinerary

Norman E. Schefferle 1932

Description

The Catani Clock Tower was unveiled to the public on Tuesday 23 August 1932. The Clock Tower was suggested as a memorial for former Victorian Public Works Department engineer Carlo Catani after his death in 1918. Commissioned by St Kilda City Council and the memorial committee, the tower cost approximately 2,800 pounds to build. Designed by Norman E. Schefferle in an Italian Renaissance style, the brick clock tower also features a bronze bust of Catani at its foot, created by artist Paul Raphael Montford.

The St Kilda foreshore is the traditional land of the people of the Kulin Nations. In the 1880s, St Kilda became known as a seaside playground, which led to plans for the beautification of the foreshore. The St Kilda Foreshore Trust Committee oversaw the commissioning of ornamental gardens and coastal parkland designed by Victorian Public Works Department Engineer-in-Chief, Carlo Giorgio Domenico Enrico Catani (1852 – 1918). The gardens were named in his honour following his death.

What's On

Visit the Esplanade Vaults, then join one of three 40-minute guided tours with historian Meyer Eidelson to explore the Catani Rockeries and Clock Tower.

Images: (1) Catani Memorial Clock Tower, St Kilda. (2) Unveiling of the Catani Clock Tower, 1932. (3) Overlooking Catani Gardens towards Cenotaph and Yacht Club, 1930. (4) Catani Memorial Clock Tower, St Kilda. All photos: courtesy of Port Phillip City Collection.

Important Details

Time & Date

Saturday 27 July
Tours run 10.30am, 11.30am + 12.30pm
Running for 40 minutes in groups of 25

No bookings required. Tour group capacity is limited and operates on a first-come, first-served basis.

Meet at Esplanade Vaults, Jacka Boulevard, St Kilda.

To access the Esplanade Vaults from the Upper Esplanade, head down the pathway near the Catani Clock Tower. There is a downhill incline that will be uphill on the way back.

From the Sea Baths, cross Jacka Blvd at the pedestrian crossing to access the footpath to the Vaults entrance. Access to the Catani Clock Tower is via the same path, going up the hill.

A pedestrian management plan will be in place for the safety of visitors, please stay on the signposted route.

ACCESSIBILITY

Partially wheelchair accessible, Accessible parking nearby

Location

The Esplanade, St Kilda West VIC 3182

Stay in the loop