< Previous search
Old Freemasons Hall c1920.
Barrie fixes club name March 1980.
Dorcas St Door with Masonic Symbols.
Under renovation.
Pre-renovation condition.
MCC Building 2023 in Aerochrome
Old Freemasons Hall c1920.

Melbourne Camera Club: A One Light Stand—Romancing the Darkness

Add to Itinerary

Robert Adamson and William McKean 1876


Built in 1876, the heritage-listed Neo-Classical Corinthian-style building was designed by local architects Robert Adamson and William McKean. Once home to the Freemason’s Yarra Yarra Lodge, the building has been restored to its original Victorian-era splendour, with much of its masonic symbolism intact.

The Melbourne Camera Club purchased the building in the late 1970s and renovations were completed in 1979. The clubrooms provide members with access to a darkroom, studio and gallery. The Melbourne Camera Club is a very active club with over 365 members, and celebrated its 130th anniversary in 2021.

What's On

This year for Open House Melbourne, the Melbourne Camera Club will be mounting an exhibition called A One Light Stand —Romancing the Darkness. This exhibition will feature works by club photographers, all shot using a single source of light, without the use of natural light, flashes or strobes. In addition to this exhibition on display, the clubrooms will be open for visitors to wander around the heritage-listed building, looking at the architecture and seeing how Melbourne Camera Club makes use of the facilities and space.

There will also be a selection of images from our archive collection on display, including some images from a previous Open House exhibition, Shot in the City of Port Phillip.

Images: (1) Old Freemasons Hall c1920. Photo: collection of Ian Bock. (2) Fixing the club name in March 1980. Photo: collection of Ian Bock. (3) Dorcas St Door with Masonic Symbols. Photo: Selby Markham. (4) The building under renovation. Photo: collection of Ian Bock. (5) The building pre-renovation. Photo: collection of Ian Bock. (6) The MCC Building 2023 in Aerochrome. Photo: Mark Devaraj. (7) Old Freemasons Hall c1920. Photo: collection of Ian Bock.

Important Details

Time & Date

Saturday 27 + Sunday 28 July
Open access 11am-3pm
No bookings required


None of the above - no access


254-256 Ferrars St, South Melbourne VIC 3205

Stay in the loop