< Previous search
The building was built in 1914 for the railway union and called Loco Hall, the top of the parapet has a model of a train. Ground floor has 4 shop fronts and the main entrance to the foyer and ballroom beyond. The architecture of the building is as was originally designed.
The Ballroom seats up to 350 people the room has all its original features and 4 chandeliers that originally belonged to the Regent Theatre, including a generous 8 x 10 meter parquetry dance floor. The Ballroom was a movie theatre and later a reception venue. It now operates a a function room for the owner's of the building 'The Panarcadian Association'. The Ballroom and the other 2 function rooms in the building are available for hire to the general public for events.
The second floor function room is beautifully proportioned with coloured glass bay windows overlooking the city and pressed metal ceilings. This function room also has a semi commercial kitchen to service its events.
The first floor function room has pressed metal ceilings and coloured windows. Every Friday night this room is a hive of activity of card playing for our Greek elderly men. It includes various memorabilia and acknowledgment of a Greek National Hero Kolokotronis.

The Arcadian (Loco Hall)

Add to Itinerary

Australian Federation of Locomotive Enginemen 1914

Description

Originally named Loco Hall, the building was first built for the Australian Federation of Locomotive Enginemen (the railway union) in 1914, where it occupied the former front garden of the now-demolished Benevolent Asylum. The building's parapet still has the original locomotive sculpture, a class A2 engine. The building was inaugurated by Billy Hughes Australia’s 7th Prime Minister. Now named The Arcadian, the building has an Art Deco Grand Ballroom suited for up to 350 guests. During its lifetime the building has been used as a movie theatre (Amalgamated Pictures & Loco Cinestar), and later was converted to a reception venue (Marconi Ballroom).

The building, purchased by The Association in 1985, now operates as a community hub for cultural and artistic activities. There are two additional function rooms, Kolokotronis on the first and Kallisto Room on the second level. Many of the original features remain in tact. The beautifully proportioned rooms with their pressed metal ceilings have been respectfully restored by The Association. The ballroom’s roof cavity is accessible for viewing, as is the basement under the commercial kitchen which has a dungeon feel.

What's On

The building is now home to the Panarcadian Association of Melbourne and Victoria Ó Kolokotronis’. The Association's membership is mainly comprised of Greek-Australians originating from the region of Arcadia, Greece. They will run through the building's past, as well as The Association's history and activities. The public is invited to guess the origins of the building's iconic ballroom chandeliers.

Images: (1-7) The Arcadian, previously known as Loco Hall. Photos: courtesy of Ms Zena Hughes.

Important Details

Time & Date

Saturday 27 + Sunday 28 July
Open access 10am-4pm
Tours running every hour starting at 10am. Last tour departs at 3pm.
Running for 45 minutes in groups of 20

No bookings required. Tour group capacity is limited and operates on a first-come, first-served basis.

Meet at the ground floor foyer

ACCESSIBILITY

Fully wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking nearby, Elevator access

Location

570 Victoria St, North Melbourne VIC 3051

Stay in the loop