Bendigo Art Gallery
Architect: Vahland and Getszchmann, Fender Katsalidis, 1860s, 1900, 1960, 1996, 2000, 2014
Fender Katsalidis has a long history with Bendigo Art Gallery, expanding and restoring a portion of it in 1997, and then designing the new extension in 2014.
Widely recognised as one of Australia’s most innovative and popular regional galleries, the Bendigo Art Gallery is known for its ambitious international exhibition schedule and its growing collection of contemporary works.
Since the 1990s, FK has restored the period galleries and contributed major new gallery spaces, ‘link’ exhibition spaces, new back-of-house, loading dock, storage and administration areas, and improvements to the gallery’s front-of-house and café areas.
The latest expansion faces Bendigo’s magnificent Rosalind Park. The existing post-modern red brick, black steel and extensive glazing have been continued across the new northfacing façade. There is one element that particularly stands out, a juxtaposition of the rusted red appearance of Corten steel overlaid with an intricate series of metres-long ironbark beams, creating a dynamic presence within the green surrounds of the park, and introducing a sculptural element to the building itself.
42 View Street, Bendigo 3550, Bendigo VIC