Old Laverton School
Built in 1888, this beautiful single room school house is the last of its kind in the Melbourne metropolitan area. The schools was constructed as a gabled rendered brick building with a slate tiled roof. There was also a gabled porch at each end of the building. The facility offers a rare combination of warmth and heritage character and huge windows providing natural light.
The former Laverton State School is significant to the Melbourne’s west as it is one of only a small number of well preserved 19th century school buildings remaining. It is also recognised as the oldest building in the locality, standing out as once an isolated structure serving a rural community, and the focal point of the local community over a long period.
Wander through at your leisure and attend a special presentation by Graeme Reilly of the Altona Laverton Historical Society.
Images: (1) Exterior Laverton Old School. (2) Interior - the natural light from the enormous windows of the Old Laverton Old School. Photos courtesy Hobsons Bay City Council
Time & Date
Presentation 11am by Graeme Reilly, Altona Laverton Historical Society.
Runs for 60 minutes. Tea and coffee available after the presentation. Bookings required.
43 Kiora St, Altona Meadows 3028