St Marks: Past to Future
Original design, James Blackburn 1853. Bluestone stairs and Eastern gallery, Leonard Terry 1865. Tower and spire, Charles Webb 1874. Settlement Centre, Gawler and Drummond 1923. Lancet stained glass, Brooks Robinson Pty Ltd and William Montgomery. Fairyland windows, Ida Rentoul Outhwaite.
A combination of school, social settlement/community centre and church means that St Mark’s has held and continues to hold a significant role in local community life.
Built in early English Gothic Revival style, it was the first bluestone church to be built outside the Melbourne CBD. The foundation stone was laid in 1853; the first stage was opened in 1855. The bluestone stairs and distinctive gallery were completed in 1865, and the the tower and spire in 1875. Major restoration works were done in the 1990s.
In 1891 the old school building on George Street was relcoated to the Hodgson Street side of the property. The former parish hall and verger’s cottage were also completed in 1891. The vicarage was built in 1910 and the social settlement building, now known as St Mark’s Community Centre, was opened in 1926. It features a room that was the first free children’s library in Victoria. It has the only windows known to have been painted by Ida Rentoul Outhwaite, based on her children’s books.
With a long history of addressing social need, the church has supported vulnerable people, including children, men and seniors and the homeless through judicious use of space and maintaining the green space that welcomes all people.
Come enjoy self-guided tours of the precinct, a children's hunt for precinct features, a musical performance and a talk exploring how the space will help us to address the Mission of St Mark to support the vulnerable in our community going forward.
A "find the features" self guided hunt targeting children
Image: (1) Original church. (2) Eastern Gallery. (3) Spire. (4) Social settlement building. (5) Old School. (6) Lancet windows. All photos: courtesy St Marks Anglican Church Fitzroy.
Time & Date
Saturday 29 July
Open access 10am-4.30pm
Talk starts at 1pm
Running for 40 minutes
Sunday 30 July
Open access 12pm-4.30pm
Music performance 12pm
No bookings required
Enter either via the primary entrance on George street or the entrance off Hodgson street, coming up from Woolies on Smith street past the old school
Partially wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom
250 George St, Fitzroy 3065