Williamstown Town Hall Open House and Tour
As the largest building of its kind in Melbourne’s west, Williamstown Town Hall, built in 1927 by prolific architect Joseph Plottel, is an original example of an interwar municipal complex. It is an important part of Williamstown’s identity and was recently restored and upgraded.
Historically significant as the first municipal offices constructed by the City of Williamstown, the site demonstrates the growth and development of the city over a long period until its eventual amalgamation with the City of Altona in 1994. It is an original example of an interwar municipal complex that includes both offices and a town hall and is an important work by architects who had an extensive career in Melbourne.
It compromises the front building, municipal offices and Council Chamber designed by Plottel & Bennett and constructed by RL Phillips in 1919, and the town hall ballroom and stage designed by Gibbs, Finlay & Morsby, and constructed by Weavell & Keast in 1927.
Visitors are invited to wander through the complex at their leisure. A guided tour is also available (bookings required for the tour).
Images: (1) Williamstown Town Hall, forecourt. (2) Williamstown Town Hall, forecourt (3) Williamstown Town Hall, internal staircase. All photos: Peter Bennetts.
Time & Date
Tour runs at 2pm, running for one hour for up to 25 people.
Tour bookings: www.hobsonsbaytickets.com.au
104 Ferguson Street, Williamstown VIC 3016