Melbourne Camera ClubAdd to Itinerary
R.Adamson & W.McKean 1876
Built in 1876, the heritage-listed neo-classical Corinthian-style building was designed by local architects Robert Adamson and William McKean. Once home to the Freemasons’ Yarra Yarra Lodge, the building has been restored to its original Victorian-era splendour, with much of its masonic symbolism intact.
The Melbourne Camera Club purchased the building in the late 1970s and renovations were completed in 1979. The club provides members with a darkroom, studio and gallery. The Melbourne Camera Club is a very active club with over 300 members, and celebrated its 130th anniversary in 2021.
This year for Open House Melbourne, the Melbourne Camera Club will be mounting an exhibition called 'Instant Melbourne'. This exhibition will feature works by a number of club photographers, all shot around Melbourne using instant cameras. The instant camera look is a throwback to the past and honours the heritage of the club building.
In addition to this exhibition on display, the Clubrooms will be open for visitors to wander around the heritage-listed building, looking at the architecture and seeing how Melbourne Camera Club makes use of the facilities and space.
Images: (1) Melbourne Camera Club building 2020. Photo: Paul Dodd. (2) March 1980. Photo: Collection of Ian Bock. (3) Old Freemasons Hall c1920. Photo: Collection of Ian Bock. (4) Inside main gallery at exhibition opening 2020. Photo: Paul Dodd. (5) The renovation team December 1979. Photo: Collection of Ian Bock. (6) Dorcas St Door with Masonic Symbols. Photo: Selby Markham.
Time & Date
Saturday 29 July + Sunday 30 July
Open access 11am-3pm
Main entry is via Dorcas Street doors. All visitors must check in on arrival for insurance purposes.
254-256 Ferrars Street, South Melbourne VIC 3205