Former Prahran Police Station and Court House
Architect: Crouch and Wilson 1861, Crouch and Wilson 1878, Charles Abraham D'Ebro 1888, Sydney Smith and Ogg 1914
Inner South | IS09
Originally built in 1861 in the Italianate style of Victorian architecture including Italian Renaissance inspired interior spaces, the building was extended in 1888 to include a City Hall in a similar style. The stuccoing of the building was completed by early 1863, along with alterations to the tower to accommodate a clock, supplied by J Murray & Co. of London and in 1878 the new telegraph office and public library was opened. In 1886, a new police station and courthouse were erected on land on the south east corner of Greville Street and Macquarie Street. The gothic revival style building features a basalt plinth, Barrabool sandstone trimmed with Waurn Pond limestone and a slate roof with elaborate cast iron cresting. The old courthouse then became the Council Chamber which contains its collection of nineteenth century furniture. Plans are currently being developed for the site to accommodate a range cultural, social and civic events.
Corner Greville Street and Macquarie Street, Prahran 3181, Prahran VIC