< Previous search
External chapel window, triangular shape. Blue and green coloured gloss tiles clad the walls.
Chapel alter and stained glass window featuring biblical story of Christ's crucifixion.
Internal circular staircase. Stair treads are concrete, banister is timber
Underside detail of internal circular staircase.
A 4 storey bluestone building on corner allotment.
External chapel window, triangular shape. Blue and green coloured gloss tiles clad the walls.

Catholic Theological College

Add to Itinerary

William Wardell c.1870, Gregory Burgess 1999

Description

This site comprises a bluestone building, designed by William Wardell, that housed Catholic secondary schools (Parade College 1871–1967 & Cathedral College 1968–94) and a new building designed by Gregory Burgess.

The stability and formality of the original building contrasts with the fluidity of the new – the past and future are both alive in this new facility. A crisp, transparent connection links the buildings at two levels and allows the new to grow out of the old with respect and unity. 

The site was the winner of the 2001 Heritage Property Award of the Australian Property Institute, and received a commendation in the 2000 Victorian Architecture Awards of the Royal Australian Institute of Architects.

What's On

A brochure will be available for the audience to do a self-guided tour of the building.

Images: (1) Chapel window, exterior. (2) Chapel interior and stained glass window. (3) Internal staircase. (4) Internal staircase, detail. (5) Building exterior. (6) Chapel window, exterior. All photos: courtesy of Catholic Theological College.

Important Details

Time & Date

Saturday 27 July
Open access 11am-3pm
No bookings required

ACCESSIBILITY

Partially wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Elevator access

The lift is located in the new building only. There is no lift access to the chapel and courtyard.

Location

278 Victoria Pde, East Melbourne VIC 3002

Stay in the loop