< Previous search
Front entrance of tram museum.
Cable car and green and yellow tram.
Two trams in tram shed.
Black and white photo of htt tram.
Trolley car.
Tram 217 with m.m.t.b logo.
Front entrance of tram museum.

Hawthorn Tram Depot

Add to Itinerary

Leonard Flannagan 1916

Description

The Hawthorn Tram Depot was opened in 1916 by the Hawthorn Tramways Trust. It serviced a line from Princes Bridge in central Melbourne to the developing suburbs of Camberwell and Burwood, and a branch line from Hawthorn Bridge. It is an imposing building in the American Romanesque style on a prominent site designed by notable Melbourne architect Leonard Flannagan.

What's On

There will be both self-guided and organised tours of the premises and of Melbourne’s Heritage Tram fleet. Current exhibitions include both Transporting Art: Melbourne’s Art Trams 1978 - 2018 and Wattle Park: A Tramway Tradition. Step on some 20 tramcars from the 1880s to the 1970s, or inspect the former Driver Training School. Toilets and a souvenir shop are also available on site.

Images: (1-3) Melbourne Tram Museum. Photo: courtesy of Alan Scott. (4) Melbourne Tram Museum. Photo: courtesy of Joseph Chow. (5) Melbourne Tram Museum. Photo: courtesy of Alan Scott. (6) Melbourne Tram Museum. Photo: courtesy of Shána De La Rue. (7) Melbourne Tram Museum. Photo: courtesy of Alan Scott.

Important Details

Time & Date

Saturday 27 + Sunday 28 July
Open access 10am-4pm
Tour runs 10.15am, then running every half hour starting at 10.30am. Last tour at departs at 3pm
Running for 15 minutes in groups of 20

No bookings required. Tour group capacity is limited and operates on a first-come, first-served basis.

Enter via the west/city side of the complex through the large tram shed doors.

ACCESSIBILITY

Partially wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom

We have wheelchair accessibllity to the majority of the premises but no access for wheelchairs to board any of the trams.

Location

8 Wallen Rd, Hawthorn VIC 3122

Stay in the loop